Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Rough day!

Grace had a really rough day yesterday! We made a trip to the WIC office where Grace got upset at the nurse and the day went downhill from there! She has a tough time recovering somedays when something upsets her. She screamed through the rest of the appointment and the whole time I was paying a bill. I was getting strange looks from people so I finally said, "You all want to scream in public sometimes too it just isnt socially acceptable for you to!" I know that when Grace is in the middle of a meltdown, she is just as miserable screaming and crying as I am listening to it! I know she doesnt want to do it, but she just doesnt have any other way to deal with what is stressing her out at the moment. When a child with a visible issue (such as Downs Syndrome) is throwing a fit people look at them and think, that poor mom what a great mom! When a kid with autism or another issues that isnt so obvious is throwing a fit, the mom gets looked at like she is a bad parent! Sometimes I just want to yell at people when we are out, and at the same time I feel frustrated at me that I even care what they think! Its so easy as a parent to judge other parents. Its always easier to tell other people what they should or shouldnt do with their child, but until you have walked in their shoes, you have no idea! Since I have begun this journey with Grace I have realized I was one of those moms who always gave my opinion, and I have tried to change that and only offer advice if it is wanted. Every new mom goes through the phase of everyone telling her what to do! I've gone from being the mom who gets annoyed at other people's screaming kids to being the whose annoying other people because my kid is screaming! It amazes he sometimes how we learn lessons in life! I was reading a verse this morning that touched on this for me, it is II Timothy 1:7 "For the spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love, and self-discipline." That verse meant a lot to me. It reminds me when I am frustrated and down and feel like no one understands what I am going through that God did not make me to feel this way, he didnt make me to sneak through places unnoticed but to hold my head high and in everything I do strive to show God's love. It was a great verse for me after the day I had yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment